Old Railway bridge - Stari železnički most
Built in 1884, it was the first solid bridge in Belgrade. Half of it belonged to Serbs and another half to the Austro-Hungarians who ruled the opposing piece of land.
Night between 28th and 29th of June 1914, this bridge sees the first demolition as it was mined to stop the Austro-Hungarian soldiers from entering the city by train. Besides that, the bridge fell onto the “Alkotmany” ship, killing most of it’s crew.
Rebuilt afterwards, the bridge was destroyed again in the night between 10th and 11th of April 1941, in a desperate attempt to stop the progression of Nazi Germans towards Belgrade. Disorganized Yugoslav army mined the bridge at the moment when a ship “Tanasko Rajić” was passing under it, full of Serbian soldiers. 95 out of 110 died.
It was rebuilt again, by the Nazi Germans, who didn’t really face problems entering Belgrade. This is also the time when the twin bridge was built, so the military could transport goods both ways simultaneously. Today, only the foundations of this twin bridge remain.